1. Contestants must attend school, reside, or have a permanent address in Washington, DC, Montgomery or Prince George’s County in Maryland, Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, or Falls Church County in Virginia.
2. Contestants must be between the ages of 11 and 23 as of April 2017.
3. Poems may be in English or Spanish, or both.
4. Contestants may submit up to three poems.
5. Contestants may receive limited teachers’ assistance, as long as no specific wording is given by the teacher.
6. Poems must be between 50 and 500 words.
7. Preferred topics for poems are personal experience, cultural identity, or global vision.
8. First, second, and third place poets in each age group will receive monetary awards. Judges will be at liberty to recommend Honorable Mention awards, and a Best Poem in English and Best Poem in Spanish category. All contestants will receive a participation diploma.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submission deadline information will be posted by February 1st 2017.
Submissions must be sent to The In Series 1835 14th St NW Washington, DC 20009 or email@example.com. You may make up to three submissions for consideration.
For submissions to be processed, the following information must be included:
Name as enrolled in school
School and Grade
Email address (required) and phone number (optional but recommended)
Contest Judges will be given no information other than your age when receiving your submissions.
By making a submission, the participant gives the In Series permission to print the submission—as well as any photographs taken at the Awards Ceremony—in published materials.
We encourage participants to have their poems proofread for spelling and grammatical errors before they are submitted. The poems may be proofread by a teacher, as is stipulated in the guidelines.