1. Contestants must attend school, reside, or have a permanent address in Washington, DC, Montgomery or Prince George’s County in Maryland, Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, or Falls Church County in Virginia.
2. Contestants must be between the ages of 11 & 19 as of April 7, 2019.
3. Poems may be in English or Spanish, Portuguese or any combination of these languages. Please contact us if you would like to submit a poem in an indigenous language spoken in any region of the Americas.
4. Contestants may submit only one entry.
5. Contestants may receive limited teachers’ assistance, as long as no specific wording is given by the teacher.
6. Poems must be between 50 and 1000 words, verse or prose.
7. Write about whatever you want! Topics could include personal experience, cultural identity, global vision, life in DC or anything you can imagine!
8. First, second, and third place poets in each age group will receive monetary awards. Judges will be at liberty to recommend Honorable Mention awards, and a Best Poem in English, Spanish, and Portuguese category. All contestants will receive a participation diploma.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions accepted January 15th to April 8th 2019
Submissions must be sent to The In Series 1835 14th St NW Washington,DC 20009 or email@example.com. You may make up to three submissions for consideration.
For submissions to be processed, the following information must be included:
Name as enrolled in school
School and Grade
Email address (required) and phone number (recommended)
Contest Judges will be given no information other than your age when receiving your submissions.
We will contact participants before publishing any submissions or photographs.
We encourage participants to have their poems proofread for spelling and grammatical errors before they are submitted. The poems may be proofread by a teacher, as is stipulated in the guidelines.