The In Series, Washington DC’s home for innovative Pocket Opera, intimate Cabaret, and intriguing Latino programming, seeks an Artistic Director. The Artistic Director is responsible for the artistic vision and programming of this small company, for heading fundraising activities, and for supervising management activities. The Artistic Director works closely with the Managing Director in planning and executing the activities of the company and building on the company’s history of excellence and innovation. The Artistic Director reports to the Board. Her/his responsibilities include:
– Programming the activities of the organization, maintaining and enhancing quality and artistic innovation in programming; developing and nurturing talent; building artistic and organizational collaborations and partnerships; preserving the current community of subscribers and supporters as well as cultivating new audiences;
– Heading the casting process and the selection of all artistic production personnel for the company.
– Collaborating in the production of all development, marketing, and mission-driven materials describing the company’s artistic vision and objectives.
-Representing the company, its artistic vision and its cultural priorities, in local and national community and arts industry contexts.
– Collaborating with the Managing Director to develop budgets and implement policies established by the Board within approved budgets.
– Working closely with the Board of Directors through Board meetings, individual communication, specific committee meetings, and strategic planning sessions.
– Leading the planning and implementation of fundraising, outreach, and audience development activities.
– Sharing in the cooperative stewardship of the company’s resources, and leading the establishment and preservation of partnerships with venue-providing organizations.
– Planning and negotiating, in collaboration with the Managing Director, all contracts for artistic personnel.
– Hiring and helping to supervise and assess–in collaboration with the Managing Director, the company’s small team of full time, part-time, and seasonal employees and interns.
The ideal candidate:
– Holds at minimum a Bachelor’s Degree and has strong classical musical competency.
– Demonstrates outstanding abilities or potential as a director and producer of music, theatre, or opera, including the drive to seek increasing artistic scope for the company’s productions and projects.
– Has at least 3-5 years of experience as a cultural organization leader or as executive collaborator/team leader of a performing arts group.
– Demonstrates excellent organizational skills, including time, project, and budget management.
– Has experience in effective collaboration and partnership, both in an internal production context and externally, with other arts organizations and institutions.
– Has a solid reputation and record of achievement in the performing arts– or the demonstrable potential to build such a reputation.
– Communicates effectively across a range of professional and artistic environments and possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
– Has broad knowledge of current artistic scene and its DC area representation
Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and an artistic statement to Luz@inseries.org.
The artistic statement should include the candidate’s thoughts on
1) Her/his perception of the importance and relevance of the In Series’ Opera and more work within the arts community and the larger DC area community. [See Pocket Opera Production History on website]
2) Her/his preliminary thoughts on new or revised directions for the In Series’ Opera and more work.
3) General thoughts on possible outreach action steps for a small, mostly classical music-and-theatre organization in the current cultural climate.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience and the small size of the organization
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of responses, we are only able to respond to candidates we wish to interview. Applications must be received by December 15th, 2017.